City Lumber History
City Lumber was formed as City Lumber and Box Company, providing lumber and boxes to Astoria's fishing industry. Later the company was called City Lumber and Coal, and until 1956 City Lumber and Supply. Since 1956 we've been incorporated as City Lumber Company, Inc. In 1917, City Lumber was purchased by Robert Booth. Following Mr. Booth's death in 1931, his wife and partners ran the business until 1956, when they sold it to Charles Lamb in Tillamook. Lamb and his partners Clayton Morse, and Don Corkill operated the business until 1975, when they sold City Lumber to Jerry and Nancy Newenhof. The Newenhof's sons, Greg and Jeff Newenhof, own and operate City Lumber today. City Lumber joined the Do It Best Co-op in 2006. Do It Best Corp. is a member owned co-operative of over 4000 stores across the United States. Being a member of Do It Best gives City Lumber the ability to purchase over 70,000 items out of warehouse, and special order items from thousands of different vendors for every department in the store.
A picture of the City Lumber crew in front of the main store location on the docks between 9th and 10th street over the Columbia River.
Fageol and Ford Model AA trucks on the docks in front of the store.
A picture showing the City Lumber coal facility on the docks between 9th and 10th.
Here's an early picture of the lumberyard at 21st and Commercial in the 1930's. You can see the old building, originally built near John Warren Field (Gyro Field) the high school football field. The building was floated over to our current location across Scow Bay. The ramp down to the yard was...
Here's Mr. Brownlee in front of a truckload of cedar shingles. The shed behind him is our current plywood shed but at the back of the yard. At some time the plywood shed was moved to the front of our property next to the ramp. Our current ramp into the yard is paved, but you can see in this pictu...
Here's a sharp looking picture of the inside of the store of the 1930's paint department. The light fixtures are stored upstairs in the attic--we're trying to figure out where to use them in the store. Special bonus points to anyone who can tell us where in the store this picture was taken.
Here's a picture of the front of the store in the 1950's. The truck belongs to local contractor Albert Mittet.